Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pray for rain

  8 weeks old

So, I come before you again and ask for more prayers. Yesterdays cranial ultrasound showed enlarged ventricles which in turn means an increase in CSF (cerebral spinal fluid). A significant enough amount where now we need to do intervention. Today neurosurgery should be coming in to consult but Mason's dr. said they would do a procedure where they would draw off fluid (which is a cerebral spinal fluid tap) from his brain. As of now Mason is not symptomatic so if they catch it early enough then that is a good thing. The increase in fluid could be from when Mason's body went into septic shock and all the fluid pulled out and ended up in the outer part of his body (as well as his brain) or it could be from the duct (where the CSF flows from the brain to the spinal cord) being clogged. Either way intervention is necessary. We are hoping this will help his problem. If this increase in fluid happens again then they will put a more permanent fix in called a reservoir (which is inserted into the brain) and then they can drain his fluid off daily. Then, when he gets big enough, he will have to have surgery to put in a shunt. Please pray that this procedure works.

 As for everything else Mason is doing pretty good. They continue to wean off his hydrocortisone and the infectious disease team decided to take him off all antibiotics except for the meropenum. He will receive this for 6 weeks. Platelets did drop slightly to 82 but his dr. is not concerned. They will recheck again tomorrow. Whenever the CSF is resolved, Mason is probably ready to resume feeds and be extubated. He is still very swollen and puffy but he is hanging in there.

I stop and think that I don't know how I would be getting through this without God. It has been so surreal the number of interactions that we have with Him and reminders that he is here with us every step of the way. Yesterday as I was on my way to the hospital, I turned on KLOVE and Michael W. Smith's song "Healing Rain" was on. It really spoke to me and gave me chills. I felt like God was speaking to me that he was going to heal Mason and I continue to be faithful in asking for this. So today, I ask you to join me in praying for rain for Mason. Pray for God's healing rain.


Healing rain is coming down 
It's coming nearer to this old town 
Rich and poor, weak and strong 
It's bringing mercy, it won't be long


Healing rain is coming down 
It's coming closer to the lost and found 
Tears of joy, and tears of shame 
Are washed forever in Jesus' name


Healing rain, it comes with fire 
So let it fall and take us higher 
Healing rain, I'm not afraid 
To be washed in Heaven's rain

6 comments:

  1. Praying for sweet Mason and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for Mason and your entire family as you watch your little miracle grow. Recently I wrote a poem for Mark and Susan and feel it is also approriate for you and your family.
    Take a look behind you
    at the footprints in the sand
    Only one set
    you will see,
    My dear child
    they belong to me.
    I promised you
    this would happen
    When you feel life’s
    becomes too hard
    Each step through
    this I am holding you.
    So relax
    and put your trust in me
    I will not let you down
    The plans I have for you
    will be present in my time
    But as you wait
    for miracles abound
    Keep looking behind you
    at my footprints in the sand

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continie to pray for Mason! He will get through this, this I believe! Praying for healing & strength!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continued prayers and thoughts going out to sweet little Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren,
    We pray for you and your family every day. Keep your faith strong and know that your story has touched so many lives. Much love and many prayers from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete