Friday, July 20, 2012

Perspective

Today I am thankful. Thankful that Mason is alive and he has made it thusfar. Thankful that through all of his procedures they have known what to do and that there HAS been a treatment. And that his conditions have responded to the treatment that they have given him. Today, a baby in the NICU passed away. He was full term and when he first came in I wondered what he was there for. Most of the babies that come in are very small or need immediate surgery and I could tell he was big compared to the others. I figured he would be there for a short stay and in a way I was right. We spoke with his parents and learned that he had a condition that wasn't treatable. He would be going home but to his home in heaven. As I sat for the week that he was in there and watched his parents hold him, family come and grieve, the baby's brother and sister come in and take family pictures with him (they were about 4 and 5 years old) it made me really start to be think. Even though Mason was critically ill he was able to be treated. And thanks to the Lord, he responded to treatment. These people didn't have that option. There was no treatment. And today their baby did go home. But not in their arms...in the arms of Jesus. It really makes you thankful for what you have even though it may not be what you had "planned." Please join me in praying for comfort for this family. They knew nothing of this condition until after the baby was born and even though they had a week to "prepare", I am certain there is no way that you can prepare your heart and soul for the loss of a child.



Mason had a pretty good day. His platelets had dropped again to 32 so they went ahead and tranfused. He really needs to make some of his own and I hope and pray that his body will kick in and do its job but I have to remember that it is still hard at work fighting this infection. Even though he is on antibiotics, this is a very severe infection but hopefully his platelets will kick in soon. In other news, his head feels full again. His nurse said yesterday it was pretty tight and tense feeling and it does feel a little more soft today but full, nevertheless (measured 28 cm). Please pray that this resolves itself and that the duct will become unclogged. But then again, I am thankful for treatment if this does become necessary. God always has a plan and I know he has a special plan for Mason. They increased his feeds to 2.6 cc an hour (I think, it might be 2.4) and he seems to be doing well with that. They discussed extubation and did an MVT but since he has so much leakage they couldn't get an actual score but he did well. They are going to wait another day and continue to watch his head.  They may discuss extubating him tomorrow. They decreased his rate down to 15 and the rest of his pressures are down as low as he can go. Please pray that if they do extubate that it will be successful this time around. They gave 2 doses of lasix today to try to continue getting the fluid off. He was up 10 grams today so he is still around 3 pounds 9 ounces. Still carrying almost a pound of extra fluid which could also inhibit his breathing if they extubate. He is looking better though and isn't as "puffy" looking.  I have been down today but trying to remember that God is with us through all of this. Sometimes I just want Mason to be home and want everything to ok. But then I gain some "perspective" and remember that through all of this, God has a plan for Mason's life. He has his little body in the palm of his hands and He is with us every step of the way. 


Sleep well sweet boy. Daddy, Mommy, and Corbin love you very much.

4 comments:

  1. So sad and sorry to hear about the other little baby in the NICU. I can't even begin to imagine. I also can't begin to imagine what you and your family are going through right now. You are so strong and that is so important. Keep fighting sweet little Mason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. understanding the need to seek God – and to praise Him even through the difficult times is very wise. Remember Psalms 71 and Davids cry to God.

    "15 I will tell everyone about your righteousness. All day long I will proclaim your saving power, for I am overwhelmed by how much you have done for me. 16 I will praise your mighty deeds, O Sovereign LORD. I will tell everyone that you alone are just and good. 17 O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, and I have constantly told others about the wonderful things you do. 18 Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me. 19 Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the highest heavens. You have done such wonderful things. Who can compare with you, O God? 20 You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth. 21 You will restore me to even greater honor and comfort me once again. 22 Then I will praise you with music on the harp, because you are faithful to your promises, O God. I will sing for you with a lyre, O Holy One of Israel. 23 I will shout for joy and sing your praises, for you have redeemed me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that sweet boy! So very much to be thankful for. A hard way to come into the world, but he is fighting each battle head on. He is a contender! And quite handsome, by the way.

    So sad for the family whose baby will not go home with them. Praying for healing of their broken hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's amazing what the NICU teaches you. i found the same clarity. love your new picture!

    ReplyDelete