Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Footprints: 6 weeks old

I am constantly reminded by little things throughout the day how much we are being carried by prayers through this whole situation. The other day I remembered a poem that I always held near and dear to my heart when I was younger and it really hit home. God is carrying us through all of this. How often we need to be reminded that God is always there for us even when we can't see Him and he carries us through all difficult trials in our life.


Footprints in the Sand

One night I had a dream...
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand;
One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before us,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
There was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life
This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
You would walk with me all the way;
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,
There is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why in times when I
needed you the most, you should leave me.
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious
child. I love you, and I would never,
never leave you during your times of
trial and suffering.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."



Mason will be 6 weeks old at 10:36 p.m. tonight. I have been thinking back to that night today and looking at his pictures from that night. My how tiny he was. How hard that time was not knowing what was going to come. If he was going to make it. I still know that just the littlest set back could take him away from us today. Or tomorrow. But am thankful that God has a plan. Thankfully, Mason continues to have good days. He is tolerating his feedings and they increased them again to 2.6. The dr. said that he really feels like the feedings are really helping him. The NP said, "He finally has cheeks!" Mason had an eye exam today because he is at risk for growing too many blood vessels in his eye and possible hemorrhaging and so far it looked ok but they will recheck him every 2 weeks. If this ever becomes an issue he will have lasik surgery to correct this. This morning he weighed 2 lb. 3 oz so he continues to gain pretty steadily. The dr. also mentioned that he is doing well on his vent and that they are probably going to try to extubate him again later on this week. The respiratory therapist came and did another MVT test to see how he might tolerate extubation and he did great. Last time he passed with a 69% (needed a 50%) and this time he scored a 122%! She said that was great. So we will see...maybe with the appropriate machine this time and with a little more time to grow he will tolerate it. He is a tough little guy!  We continue to be so thankful for all of your prayers for our little man. We are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment