Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Down day

Well, Mason had a down day...kind of. This morning neurosurgery decided to come in and go ahead and pull off his CSF to relieve some of the pressure. He pulled off 8ml this time as compared to the 16 last time. What was concerning is that the nurse said this fluid looked better than last time (as in more clear). Apparently when you have a really bad infection your CSF changes from clear to cloudy. Well, they are saying that last time it was more cloudy and this time it looked better but I talked to Mason's nurse the day he had his first CSF tap and she said it looked normal. So I am not sure who to believe at this point. Anyway, they were able to send it off and run more labs on it. Another concerning thing is last time when he had his lumbar puncture (LP) to initially diagnose his meningitis he came back with 1650 white blood cells which was a high enough number to diagnose the meningitis. Well, today, after 3 weeks of antibiotics, Mason's white blood cell count in his CSF was 20,000. Cause for concern. Of course, Mason is looking just fine and has certainly been doing well but needless to say the Dr.'s contacted the infectious disease dr.'s today to see what they wanted to do. So, as of this afternoon, Mason is now on meropenum, vancomycin, and anthro-b covering for bacterial AND fungal again. They are also doing more cultures and tests to see if this will grow out anything this time. Everything else is going well. The eye dr. came back and said his eyes were surprisingly looking A LOT better. Platelets came up again to 79 and white blood cells in the blood were down even lower and the CRP was low as well. They are going to try to get Mason down for a MRI tomorrow which worries me a little bit. I continue to hope he can tolerate all of this. So, for the majority of the day, he had a down restful day but tomorrow may be another story.

Well, this momma has had a down day too. I have truly felt God's peace throughout all of this and through all the words of encouragement and notes and messages that I have gotten from people. I still feel it but I will have to say I am very bummed. I am ready for things to get better and I am so tired of seeing my baby suffer. It breaks my heart and makes me hurt. I continue to try to stay positive. I know God has great plans for Mason because he is here for a reason. Throughout all of this, there have been numerous times when Mason has been super sick that they will check his heart to make sure it is ok and functioning properly or that the meningitis infection hasn't gotten into the valves. Well, now 2 different cardiologist have told me his heart looks "great...It is very strong." And he didn't have to tell me because I know my child. His strong heart it what has gotten him through all of this. I love him so much and I am so ready for him to get better. I trust in God but sometimes this is so hard. I am ready for my little boy to be healed. One of my facebook friend's shared this quote from Joel Osteen today and I feel like it spoke volumes to me and about Mason:

"God will not let you go through more than you can handle. If you have a big challenge today, that just means you have a big destiny."

Please continue to pray for our little boy.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for you and Mason. I know it must be so hard and I cannot even imagine what you are experiencing. I pray God will continue you give you calm through this storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to read your story every day. I am sure it is so very hard to not get down and discouraged. You are so strong! Just reading your words and seeing how devoted you are to his care and the faith you have during it all...you are admired. I am praying for you, Mason and your family. Try to stay strong for your little one. God will see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I work with your mom and I recently had a baby, who was in the NICU for 3 weeks (he was premature as well). Please know that I am praying for your family and especially sweet Mason. He is an absolute fighter and a very special and strong boy. Your mom is always giving me updates. You are a very strong mother and father and you will all get through this. Know how many people care for you and your family, even if we have never met you. -Carrie White

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want you to know I am praying for Mason, you and your family everyday. He is such a little fighter and you are such an amazing strong person. When I read your blogs it brings tears to my eyes not only because I hate seeing Mason sick but also because your words are so touching. You are an encouragement to many when you are the one needing the encouragement. Mommy, Daddy, and Mason are hero's and blessing to so many people. I am praying for Mason's healing and strength for the family. God is good all the time...all the time God is good!! -Rylie Scott (Ryan Broeker's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You still get to be human.....and God will still be God. You're in the midst of a super marathon and there are times when you think you just can't go another step. But you will in spite of it all. You have been prepared for all of this. You and Josh were chosen as the most perfect people in the world to be Mason's parents. And he is getting a lot of power for that strong heart from you. Keep hanging in there, even on those days it is by a thread. That thread may get fragile, but it will not break. And even if it would....God would still be there to catch you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is strong and we are keeping you in our prayers. We pray that the MRI goes well and that you have good results. He has been and is a fighter who knows god is looking out for him. Keep up with the updates. We are feel that Mason is part of everyones' family and that he truly has a destiny waiting for him as he is bound to do great things. Tell Corbin he is a strong brother and that he is so extra special as well. (Becky Mueller's Aunt Laura)

    ReplyDelete