Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Changes

Mason continues to do about the same. This afternoon his blood pressure started dropping again so back on the dopamine. He will soon be off versed completely and is changed over to ativan to help with agitation. They said one of the side effects of versed is seizures. His blood gases have been really good and they were able to wean down some today so hopefully we are improving there. We have seen no more seizure activity today but neurology hasn't been up to evaluate so we aren't for sure he hasn't had any seizures again. He will turn 13 weeks old this evening.

In other news, I have decided to take a year off from work. For those of you who don't know, I am a speech therapist for Guilford County schools. As time drew closer for me to go back to work I was beginning to panic about how I was going to balance all of this: Mason in the hospital, Corbin, pumping, work, being a wife, cooking, laundry, etc. I imagined getting a phone call while I was at work saying Mason wasn't doing well and then trying to continue to work even though I was 30-45 minutes away. What kind of quality job would I be doing during times like these and would it be fair to the children that I work with? We rely on my income so this decision has been a tough one but we do feel like this is what is necessary and is what God wanted us to do. Both of our boys need my care, Mason especially right now. And when he comes home, I know he is going to need my undivided attention. Right now we are trusting that God will provide. I am still employed through Guilford County but have been able to take a years family medical leave. This assures that I will have a job in one year and will give us time to evaluate the kind of care that Mason is going to require. It is also necessary that I maintain my status to keep Mason's health care insurance to pay for unsurmountable medical bills. Our HR representative has set this up so others within the school systems are able to donate days if they are able, which is a blessing. A couple of weeks ago I went to pack up my classroom where I have been for almost 7 years. It was a bittersweet moment for me because I will miss those at Frazier  but right now I have to take care of my family and myself. You never know or can imagine what is going to happen in life but I am blessed with great co-workers, family, friends, and people that we don't even know that have reached out to help us in this time of need.


 This Monday I would have gone back to work. Doubt is a horrible thing but that morning as I was getting Corbin and myself ready to go to the hospital I was doubting our decision for me to stay home. How are we going to make it? Was this the right thing to do right now? What are we going to do? That is the morning I got that fateful phone call saying that Mason had taken a turn for the worse. I remember thinking to myself, this morning if I had returned to work, I would have received this call at work. I would have had to deal with this emotion AND be at work. I knew then that we would make it and that ultimately it was the right decision for us right now. Thank you all so much for you continuing to follow our story, sharing our story, and praying for our family. I know it is what gets us through times like these.


Where I spent many days working with kids.


I will miss you Frazier family!

4 comments:

  1. God will provide for you and your family and be right there every step of the way. We will continue to pray for Mason and the strength that you and your family continues to display even in these most difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauren. I was there today, and you and Mason came up in conversation more than once. You are loved and they will miss you very much!

    On another note, when I left GCS, I banked my leave days. If you'll message me the contact info for your HR rep, I'll look into donating as many of them as I can. I do not plan to return to the public schools, so they will disappear in four years. I would love for them to be used if it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have many people praying for you and your family. There will be a way. I think you are wise to take the time off because it is so important right now. We pray for all of you at North Morganton Methodist Church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was up at 6 am to check in on Mason. I also think you are doing the right thing in staying home with your boys. The heart has its reasons. You are their mother.No one can do what you can do. We are praying for Mason and your family.

    ReplyDelete