Thursday, June 21, 2012

Blessings

Count your blessings is the old saying. Well, today we will do just that. Mason has had a great day. The swelling has gone down, the medicine worked. Praise the Lord! He is now off his dopamine, versed, and vancomycin. When I got there this morning they were taking him off the jet and putting him onto the conventional vent because his blood gases had been "phenomenal". All of his platelet counts, electrolyte counts, etc. looked great and for the first time they said his chest x-ray showed that his lungs looked clear (not patchy, fluid filled, hazy, swollen). Cranial ultra-sound showed no change and they were going to talk with his surgeon to discuss pulling his central line and beginning feedings. He looked like a "new man" (as his nurse, Pam said). You could actually see his features on his face. They were going to keep him on the hydrocortisone today because they were making so many other changes. We also got to hold him again today which means Josh got to hold him for the first time. We were so excited to be able to do that again and Josh actually got permission to leave work early so that he wouldn't miss this opportunity. Mason was a feisty little thing while we were holding him (holding true to the same way he behaved in my stomach, kicking me all the time) and he would kick and kick today while we were holding him. It was funny because he looked so peaceful on the outside but he was moving his legs all the time trying to work them out. Below are some pictures:

 His sweet little face.


Daddy is so excited to get to hold his little boy.


Such a good feeling to get to hold your baby.

Through all of this today I realized that no matter what we are going through big or small we never know what blessings we might face today. This song by Laura Story, has always held a special place in my heart but it really rang home today through what we are going through. Every time I got in the car and turned on the radio it was playing and again, I felt like God was speaking to me. Through any trial in our life, God can change it into a blessing. God has it in the palm of his hand and has a plan for each and everything that we are going through. I truly believe this and even though I do not know what tomorrow holds, He does. And that gives me peace through all of this. Even though I am scared and  know there will be more "roller coaster NICU rides". But I know that He will be with us through it all.




We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things.

"Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life, are Your mercies in disguise.

3 comments:

  1. I saw your story through Kelly's Korner blog. I have had a little one in the NICU before but not so little as your sweet guy. We're praying for him and for all of you. I love how the internet can connect perfect strangers to cover each other in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw your story through Kelly's blog and I want to tell you, your little man is so precious. I know exactly what you are going through I had twins boy 5lbs/girl 2lbs at 34 weeks. My twins were not as little as Mason but we did have a rough ride. Your little man has already proven to be strong and I wish you all the best. Prayers to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rejoice with you today!! :) I pray there will be more of these kind of days and less of the others as Mason continues to get stronger.

    ReplyDelete