Friday, November 16, 2012

2 months adjusted

Ok, just to start out and say I am not ignoring the blog. I think about updating all the time but most of the time I chose sleep over updating. Because I need it. Very much. Everything continues to be a BIG adjustment. Corbin is finally feeling it and is testing my patience. I am still trying to figure out things with Mason and get into a routine. We have changed around his feeding schedule (per nurses, pediatrician) and he is enjoying his extra milk and sleeping more...most of the time. He will be fussy during the day at times and needs attention...always while I am pumping. He must have a sixth sense about him. He would be content if I held him ALL DAY LONG. This morning after I had had no sleep because he was fussy last night his g tube came out. Luckily, the kids path nurse had brought in a folly catheter and talked to me about it on Monday so I was somewhat prepared. I just remember her telling me not to panic. So as I am running around the house, trying to find everything I just kept saying to myself don't panic don't panic. Phew. I ended up getting everything together and putting in the catheter as Mason ripped the oxygen off his face. Stomach stuff flying everywhere. Him crying. Good times. Don't panic. These are the days I will remember down the road but man I am ready for it to be a little easier. Goodness gracious! But thank the Lord through all things and all circumstances. Atleast I get to have days like this with Mason. So after I got in the catheter, re-tapped his nasal canula, and put some clothes back on to keep him from pulling out the catheter, I picked Mason up to comfort him and he looked at me and grinned. Silly boy.

This little by has been keeping me busy.

Mason is doing good overall. He has definitely started spitting up A LOT more than he was, usually after he takes a bottle. I try my best to burp him well but still we have spit up. We go to Kids eat on Tues. so I am sure they will assess that. He continues to roll over from from to back anytime I put him on his belly and has almost rolled over from back to front. He is SO strong and will grab at you, push the bottle away when he needs a break. I really can hardly believe and am amazed at his skills. Totally a miracle from God. He has great neck and head control and loves to sit up on my knee with just a little support. He loves to sit on his play mat and has fairly fluid movement while he is playing. He makes little baby squeaky noises and can put some weight on his legs. All of this is unbelievable considering he is really only 2 months old adjusted today. He takes some feeding by mouth once he gets settled. he continues to have a large degree of oral aversion and takes a bit to figure out if it is a bottle or some type of negative thing. I pray he will settle in and learn positive experiences. His sleep patterns are ok. He pitches a fit if you try to lay him flat on his back at night in a bassinet. I have got to figure out a solution to that. But overall we are doing ok. Just adjusting. They told me the first month was the hardest and I am praying that it only last a month! But God is good and we are blessed. Next week we have 3 appointments on Tues. Kids eat, audiological follow up (he didn't pass his left ear hearing screening; where his shunt is so expected), and follow up at neonatologist in Greensboro. Please pray for good news from dr.s and helpful suggestions and hints. We continue to ask for prayers for complete healing of our little boy (neurologically especially) and that he would begin to trust us and settle in to everything. Also prayers during this adjustment period and that I will keep my sanity and that Corbin will adjust. Sorry if this is scattered but remember I am sleep deprived! I am now Mason's 24 hour nurse among other things!

6 comments:

  1. have you heard of the nap nanny? that would work for him until he rolls over. if you haven't already, get him checked out for reflux. that is always a major reason for kids to scream when lying flat. i am feeling your pain over corbin adjusting. rachel went through the same phase until charlie started to be able to sit up on his own and not have to be held by me so much. seems like a long way away but you guys will get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He probably has acid reflux... our Aaliyah (Ally): (baby girl who is now 3mths whom we have guardianship of & plz pray the adoption will happen one day), has it, she screamed when she layed on her back. She also did projectile throwing up! Sometimes just a whole bunch of milk comes up.
    Docs put her on Zantac & Mylanta... Working great. Get his checked ;-)

    Aaliyah was 5 wks early & umderdeveloped lungs, blessed she didnt have to endure as much as Mason ;(

    Right now we are worried over her eyes, shes 3 mths and her eyes are crossing... Could be from her biological mom getting beat by her husband w/a baseball bat in her tummy while preg or the 4 different times she tried aborting her, or the drugs- methamphetamines she was on. Yet the law doesnt see any of this as child abuse.... Im looking up to see if this law can be changed... Pray it can be! Im letting you know all this bc Aaliyah really could of been in the same situation as Mason.

    We just wanted to say thay we are so thankful that God is healing Mason! No child should have to suffer w/any medical condition, but they do sadly.
    God is wonderful & my family & I have been praying for Mason from day one! Now each night since we received her on Sept. 27th, Aaliyah & I pray each night for Masons healing! ;-)

    Josh, Lauren you both are wonderful, loving, caring parents! Lauren you will become a master w/all of those cords, appts, etc! You can do this, you are a strng woman!
    Josh I proud of the man you have become! Being in the Whobodies w/you ... You always were caring. Its amazing seeing our Whobody family so strong on Gods faith here on FB!

    May God continue to bless your family!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. my kids slept in the swing or bouncy seat for months. Can he not do this? Is he used to sleeping upright from his hospital days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Shana.... Ally had to sleep upright in her papasan vibrating chair... She just now went in her bassinet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been checking now and then since seeing your story on Jen Denis's FB - anyway I had a preemie and we had acid reflux issues, wanted to recommend the Fisher Price Rock n' Play as a slightly inclined sleeping option. They are not too expensive and super-useful, even when she got bigger we would keep it in the kitchen as a place to plop her down when we needed our hands free. (Before we had the rock n play we propped up the head of her bassinet with a large book, that worked ok but she tended to roll/scootch down during the night).

      Delete
  5. Have you tried the Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper? It was a wonder for our reflux baby!

    ReplyDelete